Friday 8 March 2013

Walking and Thinking


Cley Marshes
  On the one really sunny day I rebelled against gardening, partly because I had seen the forecast for next week and didn't think it worth getting excited about planting lots of seeds and I am still waiting for the allotment to be rotavated. So I went for a walk, which is why this week's post is called Walking and Thinking, although most of my thoughts weren't worth writing down really!

Beyond saving
Small but perfectly formed

Towards Salthouse
Stonechat



Here on the North Norfolk Coast when it comes to places to walk we have great variety – woodland, heathland, marshes and seashore all in one area. For my walk I think I can say I did all of them, although the woodland was very small. In the warmth of the sun it really felt as if spring had arrived, I was even fooled into believing in the spring when I heard a skylark above my head, although the lack of spring flowers proved this was a false dawn. 



This area is known for its bird life, we get twitchers here all year round. I saw an array of garden birds, blackbirds, bluetits, great tits, robins, dunnocks, starlings etc. as I went up the track towards the woods, adding in farmland birds – pheasants, partridge, pigeons and crows. Then off to the marshes where I saw a stonechat & his mate, curlews flying overhead, snow buntings, lapwings, goose-duck things (I am not a very skilled ornithologist) and assorted waders in the pools. The sea was flat calm and the sun grew hazy with the mist in the air. 
Enough of my waxing lyrical the pictures do it far more justice.......






Goose-duck Things
 Last week I said..... “Now it is officially spring I hope the weather is going to start warming up properly, next week is looking hopeful but we've all been there before – alternating weeks of cold and mild weather” 
Am I allowed to say 'I told you so' ?
We had a few good days and now it is getting colder, today it is cold and foggy and next week  snow and freezing temperatures again!!
Surely one day the warmth will stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment