Sunday 19 May 2013

Pixies with Pinking Shears

Beans in waiting
Last week I was bemoaning the fact that we had had so little rain. Thankfully we have had a decent amount since I wrote that and the allotment is now much easier to dig. Unfortunately it has turned colder again so planting out is slowed down  creating a backlog in the greenhouse. With the long winter and cold spring everything has become bunched up and I am trying to do things which should have been done at least a month ago as well as all the things that are scheduled for May.
 
Cardboard mulched with upturned weeds
Free Squashes
 I went down the to the allotment during the week and finished my cardboard mulching leaving a narrow strip for the bean arch. Now that the beans are all growing well I shall find time to get the arch constructed and in position then I can plant the beans out. I have got so many seedlings growing that I have taken up some space in another greenhouse (they stand side by side in the back garden). There are beans galore, butternut squash onions and leeks all waiting to go down the allotment. I have finally managed to get the maincrop potatoes in although they haven't sprouted very well. I hope that in the ground they will come to life and get growing. I was very disappointed to see that where I had weeded around the asparagus and herbs then planted a load of marigold seeds weeds have come back again. There is lesser bindweed which has the trick of snapping off its roots when you try to pull it out and every bit of root left in the soil will sprout. The same goes for a thistle which is also growing there (I am not very good at identifying the many different types of thistle). The asparagus which was about an inch tall when I put protection round it rapidly grew to over a foot tall! I hadn't planned on harvesting it this year as this is only its second year on the allotment and it should be left for two years before harvesting to build up strength. I shall look forward to eating some next year.
Scary Broad Beans (www.trekbbs.com)
I planted out some extra beans which were in the greenhouse. There were some French beans I acquired from the Master gardener weekend. I also have some Klingon broad beans which I was given by a master gardener – well they are a variety called Martok and all fans of Star Trek Deep Space Nine will remember General Martok – I expect they will all be ridged in true Klingon style!  The other broad beans have been attacked – possibly by pixies with pinking shears judging buy the neat work round the edges of many of the leaves. I suspect that something more mundane is guilty although I am not sure what. On the photos there seem to be a lot of black aphids and a slug but this looks more like caterpillar damage. Further investigation is needed.
Pixies with Pinking Shears

Up in the greenhouse I have been busy potting on seedlings of Scabious, Amaranthus and Canterbury Bells. Soon I hope they will be big enough to put out into the garden. The Moneymaker seedlings are in bigger pots. I really need to get the Gardeners Delight into big pots but the pots I use are currently inhabited by Blackcurrant cuttings waiting to be planted out on the allotment. As soon as there is room I need to sow seeds of biennials to plant out next year. 
Finally.......Having spent the winter trying to protect my Camellia I have been rewarded with the first show flowers for a couple of years at least.
Camellia of the Wilow Weep

So much to do – so little time …. I'd better stop typing and get on with something!!

1 comment:

  1. Your camellia is gorgeous! I love the idea of Klingon broad beans - will they be very active on the plate, I wonder, in the tradition of Klingon food? I can just see you chasing them all over the kitchen. :)

    ReplyDelete