Saturday 9 November 2013

Winter Drawers on!!

A Little Squashed
The storms of autumn are rapidly blowing us towards winter but the temperatures are still quite mild. I managed to nip down the allotment last week and harvested the Butternut Squashes and Pumpkin. Not exactly a bumper crop but the Butternuts have done well considering how late they went in and how dry it was at first. I don't think I'll make any further mention of the pumpkin.



Wind Tunnel
When I went down I discovered that the bean tunnel had succumbed to the strong winds and was looking decidedly worse for wear. Today I managed to get back down there to dismantle it and harvest the beans I'd left for seeds. It turned out only two legs were damaged beyond repair so I hope to be able to use it next year. When I opened the shed I was greeted with a lot of insects flying out – at first I thought they were mosquitoes but I think they'll all be dead by now – they turned out to be lacewings, I've seen so few this year so it was a pleasant surprise! I rather wish I hadn't disturbed them but I needed to open the shed and anyway it wasn't too cold so they should be able to find somewhere safe to shelter again. It didn't take long to clear the beans, then I loaded the car up with old bean pods and bags of parsley stalks to be deseeded. Back home I discovered more lacewings lurking in the parsley stalks so I've put them up in the greenhouse for a later date. I also had a smaller tub with more parsley heads in which I have stripped and already have far more parsley seeds than I need for the net few years. Added to this I have a tub of pumpkin seeds and loads of runner bean seeds. I think I'll go into the seed business!
A small fortune!
Ready for next year













Back in the home garden the small greenhouse has been stripped of all plants and its cover because I don't think it will survive the rigours of a Norfolk winter if it is complete. The bigger greenhouse has been stripped of its tomatoes and cucumbers and filled with overwintering plants. I hope we will get the new covering on it during the coming week then I can start planting up some seeds for next year. I need to go through the seed box to see what is needed. I have already been looking at prices and have found a small independent company who are much cheaper than the big boys and do seed in reasonable quantities so I plan to buy anything I need from them.








With the weather being so mild many of the summer flowers are still doing well. I have found lobelia, marigolds, primroses and even cosmos flowering in the garden. Of course the fuchsias are still going well. I know that many people dislike them but I love them! Not only do they have an astonishing array of colours and types but they are the best value for money of any plant I know! The non standard one in a pot which I pictured a few weeks ago is still going well, as are the trio in the coalshed bed. My small Lady Boothby ('climbing' fuchsia) has grown about two and a half feet this year – not the most prolific flowering but very vigorous. I still hope to get many more hardy ones in the front garden, as and when money allows. 




Hopefully next time I write I'll have pictures of the refurbished greenhouse and all its happy winter inhabitants! For now just enjoy the flowers.........


1 comment:

  1. I love your flower photos. :) That's an imressive amount of seeds you've gathered there, and the butternut squash are looking good

    ReplyDelete