Monday 24 November 2014

(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction


Autumn Acer
It's been some while now since I've felt like writing – or gardening. Been busy as usual but been on a gardening downer for some while. I've been repeatedly turned down for gardening jobs & courses and it has put me into a decline. It seems that no one has any faith in my abilities. Thanks to kind words of close friends, explaining that it is my age not my ability that is the issue (small comfort really), I've tried to rally but by heart isn't in it these days. 






Tomatillos & peppers

Crops from the allotment have been mediocre, I think I should cultivate the weeds instead. The best crop were the Tomatillos. The little Russet tree produced some fruit - but they looked like Cox's not Russets! Nearly all the brassicas bolted and had to be pulled up. The only ones still growing are the Brussels Sprouts. In the home garden the hanging baskets & tubs looked pretty but the borders failed to impress. Unfortunately my Lady Boothby Fuchsia is looking very poorly due to an infection of red spider mite and the naughty fuchsias are looking very poorly too. Up in the greenhouse the cucamelons were all growth & very little fruit, the crystal lemon cucumbers were very disappointing but the tomatoes did better, the red pears were the best.
Skeleton Tomatillos
Crystal Lemons & Tomatoes

Smothered





I've tried to start preparing the allotment for next year by digging out beds & covering with compost and weed suppressant. I still need about another forty metres of fabric stuff but there is Christmas to pay for first so it will have to wait. I've  tried using other weed suppressants like cardboard but they didn't work down there. I haven't made many plans yet but it will probably be the usual mix of beans, parsnips, carrots and onions with some other odds and ends.




Next year's hanging baskets will feature trailing begonias, their colours are very vibrant and they should like the amount of sunshine at the front of the house. Fuchsias will be moved to somewhere more suitable with a bit more shade than they get at the moment.

Not a Russet




Whether or not I continue this blog still remains to be seen, viewing figures are very low and comments are like hens teeth. I feel like I've spent the past year flogging a dead horse.


2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry gardening has not been going well for you this year. I like the look of the tomatillos - I've never heard of them. What do they taste like and what do you do with them?! It's a real shame that employers don't appreciate your skill and enthusiasm. I would say that it's their loss, but I know that's not much comfort. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. The silence has been overwhelming - Only one supporter, thank you for that.
    Well I'm not telling you what I'm going to do , whether I carry on gardening or not -
    but stuff the blog - I've got better things to do.

    ReplyDelete