Thursday 10 January 2013

Difficult Areas


Every garden has at least one difficult area. Whether it is too wet, shady, dry, sloping, odd shape it poses a problem as to what can be done with it. Eventually some resilient plants are found to fill the area and magically the problem area becomes a beautiful corner. It is finding the right plants to do the magic that stumps so many people, costing time, money and patience.

Ceanothus, Euonymous, Buddliea & Fuchsia
Large Escallonia Macrantha
In my garden there is a shady bank where mainly weeds grew and the soil was washed down by the rain all over the path, where more weeds then grew. The bank faces north but despite being overshadowed by bushes and buildings it catches the afternoon sun because it is open to the west. To start tackling this area weeds were repeatedly removed and various plants were put in with little success. Last autumn spare deck boards were used to shore up the edge and stop the soil erosion. This has created a good solid edge which I have put some fuchsias into, well they were homeless (honest!). This area already contains a very large Escallonia Macrantha and the stump of the White Cloud Buddleia which needed severely bringing into line because it tends to block the path (pruned by a chainsaw wielding friend). Last year I added some young foxgloves here and on the bank round the corner between the shed and steps. I also added a low growing Ceanothus (probably Thyrsiflorus Repens but it had no label) which I hope will get enough sun. I've also put in a Vinca Minor Aureovariegata and a Fuchsia Dollar Princess which was rescued from the compost at work in a very poor state. Already planted there, hidden among the weeds, I found a small Euonymus Japonicus Ovatus Aureus which I may well move to a sunnier spot because its variegated leaves are turning green, or I may just prune surrounding shrubs to let more light in. Hiding under the Escallonia is a very sad looking Weigela Florida Variegata, another candidate for moving to a better position. Moving these will leave a lot of exposed soil again so I've been looking at what may do well here. So far I am considering a border Saxifrage Umbrosa London Pride, which likes the shade, is evergreen and covers well. Another candidate is Tiarella Cardifolia (Foam Flower) it is evergreen and spreads well but only flowers in May and June. Solomon's Seal (Polygonatum) and Hostas are other options although they are not evergreen and very prone to slug attack. First I have to see how many bulbs I planted there last year (yes more compost refugees) I have rather lost track of where I planted them all! I also need to ask a certain tall person with a long reach hedge cutter to give the Escallonia and surrounding Privet a haircut soon.

By the Shed
Another difficult area, although not so large is the small bed between the shed and steps. Again I have put a load of rescued daffodils in here, there is also another Ceanothus and some foxgloves. They have ground elder, lesser bindweed, grass and elder to contend with. This patch is divided from the big bank by a large privet hedge, so access is needed to keep that down to a reasonable size too.

Three Fuchsias
Lastly there is the tiny bed by the coal shed wall. It's about a foot wide and seven feet long, faces due south but get overshadowed by the house in the afternoon. It gets a blast of morning sun until about lunchtime then its in deep shadow. It was once home to a large unwanted elder bush, which has been eradicated. Since then it has played host to various climbers and summer bedding plants, the Busy Lizzies particularly liked it a couple of summers ago. Last year I failed to grow canary creeper and violas but succeeded with three small pink Fuchsias (Fuchsia Hybrida Pink White) which kept flowering right up until December. If they survive and come back in the spring I will be pleased but like the ones in the Escallonia bed they were sold as annuals so I don’t hold out much hope. I need to fill in between them with some other annuals and find a suitable climber to cover the wall. I have tried clematis but it wasn’t shady enough for their roots, there isn’t a lot of soil to dig into. I may have a go with a Pyracantha instead, I'll get a small one and let it grow to fill the space.
Winter Fuchsia
 
Next time Fuchsia passion & trying something new!



No comments:

Post a Comment