Thursday 24 January 2013

That Sinking Feeling


Edelweiss
Back in the 1960's &1970's when I was growing up rockeries were popular garden features. I remember them looking like burial mounds with chunks of stone sticking out and inexpertly filled with Aubretia and Alyssum. I thought they were awful then and still do today. They had smaller cousins caused by the modernising of kitchens; sink gardens. Beautiful old Butler of Belfast sinks were wrenched out of kithcens and left in gardens where enterprising gardeners would cover them with a mix of cement and compost to give a 'natural look' and then they were filled with an assortment of Sempervivums and Sedums and maybe a couple of rocks for good measure. The combination of these two ways of planting alpines put me off them for many years. However, spending time in the garden centre at work I have seen some very pretty and interesting plants labelled as Alpines. This has stirred my curiosity and opened my mind to a previously ignored area of the garden.


Sad Sink before I removed the  marigolds
When I wrote about containers I mentioned the old sink by the front door which hasn't  been very successful with traditional annuals. I have decided to empty it out and start again once any bulbs have finished flowering, assuming some have survived. It was this decision which made me think about trying out a few alpines. So off I went to the internet and Dr Hessayan's books to find out more. I needed to find out what planting medium they like, do they all like the blazing hot afternoon sun, can I have a set colour scheme or is it dictated by size and location. I have set myself quite a challenge.
My Friend Lithodora!
Once the sink has been emptied and cleaned out (at this stage it can be covered with a mix of cement and compost to make it look natural!!) I need to cover the plughole with fine mesh to stop slugs getting in, I shall also block the overflow which has been home to many small snails in the winter. I then need to add a layer of drainage material, gravel or stones. On top of that some people add a layer of rotted turf, some a mixture of charcoal and grit,  or leafmold  to act as a filter. Then comes the main growing mix of grit, peat, top soil, sharp sand – it seems every alpine grower has their own special formula. Some recommend using John Innes No2 instead of topsoil as it feeds the plants gradually. On top of this a layer of gravel is added, along with one or two rocks to break it up and house some crevice living plants.
Aquilegia flabellata

Iberis Little Gem
Plants need to be chosen carefully, many alpines spread from 12 to 18 inches which would soon swamp my little sink. I have found that in general Alpines are a very difficult bunch to keep happy; some like shade while others need full sun, some like to hide in crevices, some love acid soil, others love chalky soil, some are hardy whilst others are very tender. I found a website which listed dwarf varieties suited to sinks, I then needed to sort out which ones liked full sun and agreed with others about soil type.
Dianthus Evening Star
I have given up considering a colour theme, I shall just be glad if they all get on well together!

Erysimum Orange Flame
Despite this there still seems to be a wide variety to choose from; Aquilegia, Dianthus, Phlox and Saxifrage have an assortment of colours to choose from. Then there are Leontopdium (Edelweiss, not very imaginative I know but I am a beginner!); Iberis (Candytuft) Little Gem; Androsace (Rock Jasmine) Lanuginosa; Campanula Garganica;and Lithodora Olefolium. There is still a lot of research to be done here I think but ultimately what it will boil down to is what is available in the local garden centres. I shall keep you posted.......

Ooops! How did those three frozen fuchsias get into my luggage boot?! #PlantRescue!

No comments:

Post a Comment